Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Mama knows best

"When I stand before thee at the day's end, thou shalt see my scars and know that I had my wounds and also my healing."

That's what Rabindranath Tagore said on healing - from broken hearts, to broken dreams, broken spirits and broken homes.

Random.

I am healing from Friday-Saturday's dance-a-mania and Sunday's run. On Saturday, as I limped to work, I knew it was a bad move to do the run on Sunday. But, we're never the quitters, and you know that. So yeah...sucked it.

Results were abysmal. I think your grandma could clock faster timing than I did because trust me, after 5kms, I started to feel the sun's searing heat on my temples. I hung on though, keeping to my rog (run-jog?). Eventually I saw the sign...

...2KM to go.

And there's the water point.

Had a cold cup of 100Plus but the drink went everywhere but my mouth so I had another one. Bad move. The 2nd cup was warm and it was too sweet. I told myself "Don't puke...don't puke. Only 2kms away!" But good golly wow, it was the longest 2kms of my life. I even contemplated vomitting by the bay at Esplanade but there were so many people sitting there and the thought of having vomit down my shirt at the finishing line was just...gross.

1KM more!

People were cheering. "Faster! Come on! You can do it!" they said. Oh I felt like puking in their faces. I tried to run but the shins are tensing up. The vomit's slowly rising as well. So yeah...took it slow.

Jay, Rae, Lauren and I headed to Jalan Kayu after that. I was already pukey at the maximum level and just before the prata came, I rushed to the toilet and did a Merlion out of the 100Plus.

Time of 100 minutes and should I were to go on to the next race, I'd definitely want to beat that. Who doesnt right?

So yeah.

My first 10km race...not without drama.


###

No comments: