I feel apologetic towards the Mainland Chinese and Indians who are here on work and student permits. They have been dragged up left-right-centre during this election campaign...sometimes used as scapegoats.
I know many are here out of circumstances. I dont blame you. I just blame the government for not making your arrival smooth for us. Still, it's a democratic country and democracy breeds capitalism. At the end of the day, I know, it's all about the money.
This election is driving me bonkers. I do feel the PAP's strengths and I am very much aware of its achievements. Still, to have only 3 opposing voices in the current government (before dissolvement)is not a good thing. Sure, it is the minimum number in a democratic environment but we are not sure if these 3 voices are given enough "democratic" time - time to question, to oppose and to offer alternatives. We are not sure how strong are their voices during readings of bills. We are not sure how they are treated by the Party Whips and Leaders of the House. We are not sure if Abdullah Tarmugi had a neutral view towards them.
PAP have been with me for 31 years. The presence was felt when I first shook Lee Yock Suan's hand. He was an idol...my first Chinese hero. I knew him first before I knew Lee Kuan Yew. I grew up in a PAP system of meritocracy - where hard work was said to be rewarded. I worked hard but things didnt always fall in place. The system made me feel like a failure at the age of 12...failing to get into a top local school. I was sad throughout secondary school because I felt I missed out on a lot of things in life. I shouldnt feel that way, you know, but because of the education system, I felt so useless.
After diploma, I felt rejuvenated. I wanted to pursue my studies but then, I wasnt good enough for local universities. So I had to beg and borrow to pursue uni studies in Australia. My family wasnt rich but we felt that it was necessary for one of us to go away so that I could eke a better living upon graduation. My mom pawned whatever jewellery she had, my father borrowed heavily from his company. My father was a civil servant...I do appreciate govt's help but...on the other hand, they made money through interest. Bottomline is, PAP need to pay attention to the plight of the working class. I felt so helpless then.
I took politics as an elective in uni and from there I realised there were so many things wrong with our government but, I also found out that the problem was not just uniquely Singapore's, it was a global event.
Here comes my dilemma. After strong affiliation with PAP...only to fall out with it during my youth...I actually realised that it's not easy to please everyone. I began to see PAP's position. I studied the struggles and also the political history of democracy and found that democracy was expensive. I did a thesis on democracy being a farce and that, till today, had been my magnum opus.
If anyone were to be blame, I would blame the capitalists of the world but these capitalists were not chosen by us to make things right. We got our leaders and the least they could do was to stand up for us and make things less painful. Maybe the situation right now has been soothed by the government but we need to know that this is the best they can do and they have tried to make things ok. To me, all we need is a little transparency and some consideration for our feelings.
I can go on and on though I cannot guarantee it will all make sense. That's the problem when one is emotional. Some of these oppositions are good - they have good points and they have the residents' welfare in mind. Still, some use this election to incite hate. We dont want that. Ultimately, we want a cohesive parliament.
PAP, I thank you for your service. Your AUPE bursaries were something I looked forward to for 10 years of my life (primary and secondary). It did make me materialistic but...that's another story. I appreciate the lift you gave me and the fantastic AMK environment that you have created. My problem with you is that you have now grown arrogant. That's my beef with you.
And now...I must watch Arsenal versus Man United.
That's all.
###
No comments:
Post a Comment