What does it feel like not to talk for a day? How important is it to have your voice heard? Would life go differently for you if you don't speak?
My good friend talks too much. I am not sure if it is because she really enjoys talking and sharing everything under the bloody hot sun with me or it is because she is uncomfortable with silence and therefore finds a dire need to fill in space with her voice and sometimes the talk of nothing. I would usually listen but frequently, I'd just switch off because the monologue would be about her colleague's daughter's dentist visit...her boss' holiday trip...bla bla bla.
Often, I caught my mind wondering off mid-rambling and I would scramble back on track with quizzical looks, nods of agreement or some hmms and ahs. I must be one of the most unresponsive women she must have encountered. At times I felt bad...most times I just looked at her and had this urged to grab her shoulders and screamed "Stop talking!"
I think silence is a huge problem for many. Still, incessant chatter drives me nut. I cannot imagine being stuck to a gibbering nutcase for hours. Just because you have a mouth, it doesnt mean everyone is interested in the things that may come out of it.
But my guilt lies in the friendship. I shouldnt be feeling irritated. Urgh.
I have been on dates where the men talked..and talked...and boy did they talk. In fact all of them were quite the talker. I guess that was also why none worked out. I was attracted to their thoughts and then, their thoughts got too loud and they began to fill my brain as noise. Some could have assumed my state of pensiveness as a go-ahead to keep on yapping..some thought I was an empty vessel who was waiting to be filled in with words. Some just found it hard to not talk about themselves.
Ah my...how did it get from noisy good friend to this?
You read this and may find these words as noise but being virtual, you can always choose to get away from this page. In real life...well..not that easy.
Sometimes you can find connection in silence. Sometimes being together in silnce is refreshing. Sometimes you have to give in to silence. Silence doesnt always mean disagreement. Silence doesnt have to be rebellion or stupidity..or ignorance.
Silence can be beautiful. It can be comforting. If you, like me, talk for a living, silence can be the best form of respite.
Now...where can I find someone who can understand that?
###
My good friend talks too much. I am not sure if it is because she really enjoys talking and sharing everything under the bloody hot sun with me or it is because she is uncomfortable with silence and therefore finds a dire need to fill in space with her voice and sometimes the talk of nothing. I would usually listen but frequently, I'd just switch off because the monologue would be about her colleague's daughter's dentist visit...her boss' holiday trip...bla bla bla.
Often, I caught my mind wondering off mid-rambling and I would scramble back on track with quizzical looks, nods of agreement or some hmms and ahs. I must be one of the most unresponsive women she must have encountered. At times I felt bad...most times I just looked at her and had this urged to grab her shoulders and screamed "Stop talking!"
I think silence is a huge problem for many. Still, incessant chatter drives me nut. I cannot imagine being stuck to a gibbering nutcase for hours. Just because you have a mouth, it doesnt mean everyone is interested in the things that may come out of it.
But my guilt lies in the friendship. I shouldnt be feeling irritated. Urgh.
I have been on dates where the men talked..and talked...and boy did they talk. In fact all of them were quite the talker. I guess that was also why none worked out. I was attracted to their thoughts and then, their thoughts got too loud and they began to fill my brain as noise. Some could have assumed my state of pensiveness as a go-ahead to keep on yapping..some thought I was an empty vessel who was waiting to be filled in with words. Some just found it hard to not talk about themselves.
Ah my...how did it get from noisy good friend to this?
You read this and may find these words as noise but being virtual, you can always choose to get away from this page. In real life...well..not that easy.
Sometimes you can find connection in silence. Sometimes being together in silnce is refreshing. Sometimes you have to give in to silence. Silence doesnt always mean disagreement. Silence doesnt have to be rebellion or stupidity..or ignorance.
Silence can be beautiful. It can be comforting. If you, like me, talk for a living, silence can be the best form of respite.
Now...where can I find someone who can understand that?
###
No comments:
Post a Comment