Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Don't want to cry...don't want to cry no more

After yesterday's horrid, horrid fiasco at work, this is awesome!

Awesome!

:)

----------------------------------------------
Dear Ms Mona,


One thing I learnt from those long hours of Literature lessons in secondary school and JC was the need to appreciate all that Life has to offer you. I still remember very well, the feeling of being despondent and not knowing what went wrong at the end of Year 1 in JC. Life then seemed to be a masterpiece of duplicity, mistaken assumptions, confusion and the bitter twang of failure. It was not a pleasant feeling, and I felt that I was at the end of the road. What had gone wrong? So I started to search within myself, but I was as unsure as ever if I could really find the answer.


Then your letter came back to me, and in it; you told me that the central problem could be the environment, since not everyone takes to a new environment like fishes do to water. You mentioned of the similar situation that you had studying overseas in Australia, and told me to take heart. The comfort I drew from that letter stayed with me throughout the late nights spent re-learning every subject from scratch ( from topics as diverse as Zimbabwe under Robert Mugabe to the essentials of poetry comparison for Literature , the Korean War for history, and particularly watching Youtube videos on Economics to buff up the pitiful little that I found myself knowing) , often into the wee hours of the morning throughout the whole of the November/December break in 2010.


It was draining both physically and mentally; the skin of a finger on my right hand actually became red and hurt because of the constant writing , and to sit at the desktop studying whilst my peers were enjoying the last few days of sunshine before Year 2 began). It was draining, but I drew solace from the thought that you had more obstacles in your way having to study as a stranger in a strange land. Surely my present 'suffering' paled in comparison to that.


Someone believed in me and recognised my effort, and it was now my turn to justify her belief.


That was the least I could do.


The greatest reward I got a year on, was to see and share in the happiness of my teachers on Results Day , and to know that I had not let them down. All the late nights and the pain became worth it in that instant. It is through the pain of such past experiences that I know that University Education will not be a walk in the park. If anything, it might even be harder than anything I have done so far. Subjects like a Literature minor, a major in political science, sociology, economics , english language or history seem formidable in content and appearance. But when the time comes to step into the temple of higher learning, do it we must, and do it we shall.


You never forget a good teacher, Ms Mona.


I hope we will stay in touch for many years to come..


Yours Sincerely,
Tng Kwang

---------------------------------------------

:)


###

No comments: