Sunday, June 19, 2011

Last Friday night (TGIF)

It has been a crazy week, man. Work is beginning to show its fangs and I think I am just not built for stress. Na-uh, not anymore. The previous company really broke me and I think I really need some serious timeout. Let's just hope it's Monday blues talking :(

Last Friday, I had 2 "chat" sessions with two local celebrities (somewhat, I guess? Depends on how you define fame, I guess). The first one was in the morning and we had a little photoshoot session in one of the studios. She's a nice girl whom I hope would not be eaten by big fishes in the industry. We had lunch together after that and I was quite surprised that the whole conversation with her went quite smoothly. My only problem now is to convert all these scribbles and sound recording into a malay article. FML, youngsters nowadays say. FML indeed.

Then in the late afternoon, I headed down to MBS to have my 2nd session. The interviewee was working at MBS and Coffee Bean was a convenient place for us (I just wanted to get out of office). She's another nice girl (or maybe, I see almost everyone as nice. Unless someone has done me wrong before, I guess) and I had a productive time talking to her. Again, the challenge now is to convert all the convos into a feature article. Come say those letters with me - F..M..L.

One thing I realised on Friday was that...no matter how the conversations were going, I tend to put in some advice to the people I was talking to. I am not sure if it's a good thing. I think it's a job hazard stemming from my previous employment as a lecturer. I just couldnt help myself from telling the interviewees (who both happened to be way younger than me)to take care of themselves, never let abuse them in any sense, yada yada. This was not a problem last Friday but man, I hope this doesnt happen if I were to interview someone who is more experienced or very well-known in the industry (like Siti Nurhaliza or some Western stars or something). Imagine telling Taufik Batisah that he should pursue his degree or something, just in case he falls out of the industry in the future. I can suggest TooMuchCrap to him..hahahahahahahahahahah.

Oh well.

It's back to work tomorrow and gah, I have seemingly endless tasks to source and write. It doesnt help that there are only 2 of us writers - the other one has been doing this for 10 years (in this particular magazine alone!). Though she and my editor have been nice, I cant help but feel so small, man. I dont think this feeling will go away so soon. After 4 years of doing something so familiar, a change in environment is nerve-wrecking. I cannot imagine someone who jumps ship after more than 10 years in one career. It must be crazy as hell.

BUT...

There's a silver lining. This Tuesday I will be leaving for Perth. Going out for a week. Good thing is that I can physically be somewhere far to recharge myself (somewhat). The downside is that...I'll be bringing work.

But then again, what's new? I have brought work all around the world with me - to the bright city lights of NYC, the freezing Himalayan region of Kashmir, India, to the gloomy Manchester, England. What's to Perth?

At least I'm going on a short break, my heart reassures.

Sure.



###

2 comments:

GiGi - The Shy Giraffe said...

wahhhh joyah, steadylah temuramah orang pay-mus...lol.

babe, which magazine you writing for? since i hardly buy local malay mag, let me know when your article printed, maybe i go and scan at the local magazine stand.. hee hee...

Ed RockStar said...

sentiasa 'manja'....wait for it. end july and...please be kind.