If the UN accused Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of not respecting human rights, slammed his speech and walked out of the conference, aren't they ... not respecting the freedom of speech which they have been advocating all this while?
Admit it.
It's because he's Iranian and is a Muslim, right?
Humans and our selective behaviour.
.........
I have been reading a regional magazine for the past few days (I am not a fast reader so sue me) and in this magazine, many APAC journalists are pressing for a more effective ASEAN. They liken the organisation to an irony; united but segregated. Very insightful indeed. It didnt hit me until I started to read word for word of all those articles as I jostled my way around the super-packed MRT rides day in and day out.
Am too broke for cab rides now.
Plus, reading in cab gives me motion sickness
So, there's a blessing in taking the train.
I've grown an inch of knowledge.
The articles ask why cant ASEAN be more like EU where, though criticism against each other flies thick and fast, the relationship the members have is strong. EU is like a band of brothers - arguing - but at the end of the day, they have each other's back and just like siblings, will rally together in times of need. Sharing a common currency and allowing convenient border access strengthen the unity. One journalist asks why cant members of ASEAN work like that. What is the purpose of ASEAN?
I find this an ideal, yet scary thought - to allow easy border access to prevent trafficking. Maybe I am selfish but I am thinking of my country (Singapore, by the way...in case you dont know) and what's going to happen to it should we allow such things to happen. Honestly, I feel that many people would want to come here. We are like the New York of the East. However, unlike other countries, we dont have the space to accommodate everyone. On top of that, many Singaporeans have a highly westernised and progressive perspectives which are different from the perspectives of those from the neighbouring countries. There will be conflict. I feel it wont be to our benefit to have an open relationship like that.
See, I am individualistic; definitely not an Asian attitude. But the thing is, I am not the only one here in Singapore. Will we feel safe having fellow Asians walking in and out of our country? We should feel safe but right...who are we kidding, right?
Singapore doesnt play the race and religion card alot. Again, that sets us apart from our neighbours. If we were to change ASEAN and make it a collectively stronger association, Singapore has to be able to adapt being exposed to such issues. Now, are we ready? Another alternative is to not have other ASEAN member countries talk about race and religion issues. Again...who are we kidding?
How about sharing a common currency? I am beginning to cry out of fright here if we were to use a common currency (e.g. Asian dollar). The economic growth in SEA is, let's put it this way, different. To which/whose economy and market are we going to peg that currency to? If Singapore...why? If not Singapore...why?
Shudder.
One journalist says that ASEAN is not an association of South East Asia nations, but ASEAG, an association of South East Asian governments. Eh, that's true. Obviously the ASEAN leaders are not representatives of all the people in SEA. Who does Myanmar represent, anyway? Almost all of the members are just representing the governments and who make up the governments?
The elites.
And the elites do not want to interfere with the other countries' social issues because it's not Asian-like to mind other people's business. Plus, we have our own problems to worry. Then what's the freaking point in having ASEAN? What's the point when we cannot stop the human rights abuse in Myanmar? What's the point when we dont even want to be a pressure group, advocating change and stability in Asia?
*grumble grumble*
ASEAN is rubbish, ya'll.
P/S: I'll migrate to New Zealand and be a shepherd should ASEAN become like EU.
###
1 comment:
rumours has it since the US dollar is dwindling down it will be replaced with a new currency known as the AMERO (or something like that). comprised of US, Canada and Mexico.
Post a Comment