Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rip her to shreds

The cleaning lady just passed me a pack of noodles. She said it was mee siam. I opened it and ...urgh...it's not mee siam and it looks like it has been drenched in lard or something. I feel nauseous. Urgh.
 
...
...
...
 
I died last night while watching America's Next Top Model.
Dead tired, I guess.
 
I had a really trying day. I was on the afternoon shift yesterday and I was making my way to class, a student ambushed me. She asked if she could do her scriptwriting assignment alone, instead of being in a group. I asked her why and she could not give me a good reason. I know this student very well cause I've been teaching her since day 1. I know what kind of a person she is and well, she is anti-social, holier than thou and well, thinks she's too good for everything/everyone else.
 
But this is a group effort, I told her that. Marks would be allocated for group dynamism and if you were to do it alone, these marks would be deducted.
 
She seemed okay with it. I'm not. Many other students had come earlier to me requesting to do the assignment on their own. And this student caught me at a bad time. I was already pissed with the students' drama in class (cause it's affecting the class dynamism and the drama has been infected to me as they cried to me for help) and here was another pushy student.
 
I went into the class, set my equipment and stood in front of everyone.
I'm wearing heels yesterday and I felt powerful.
I lambasted every mother#^%& yesterday.
 
The foreign students and their hesitancy to improve their English language were not spared. The local students who came up to me and said "Please dont group me with the China students cause they suck!" were shown no mercy. I felt like Denzel Washington in Remember The Titans as I stood in front of the class fired with anger. I am very disappointed with those students who thought they were so great - "You wouldnt be here if you think you are THAT great!" I'm sorry. I couldnt help saying that cause it's the truth.
 
What, just because you can pronounce all the fashion label names, watch Hollywood movies and ..I dont know...appreciate the arts, you think you are better than the rest? I was so cheesed off, man.  But the thing was, I was not targeting anyone in particular. It was collective and generic and not personal. Knowing me, I was only angry for like..5 minutes. And then, I stood there, just talking.
 
During the break, I called the student who ambushed me earlier.
 
Ed: So, do you still want to do it on your own?
Student: (just plain sulking)
Ed: It's not my decision. I will have to bring it up to the management and eventually, Cambridge.
Student: I think...it's okay.
Ed: Are you sure? I need to talk to my boss.
Student: It's okay. I'll join my group. But... you didnt have to scold me, right?
 
And she shot me a look.
 
Scolded her?
What the ...nabei ch%^b%$^!
 
Ed: Eh hello, I was addressing the class.
Student: Yeah but you were scolding me.
Ed: Gosh, you were not the only person who came up to me. I was bugged the whole weekend by other students' whim and fancy. This is not just about you. This is not personal. Deal with it.
 
I didnt scream.
I just said it matter-of-factly.
 
Suka hati kau lah, budak.
 
 
###
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

GiGi - The Shy Giraffe said...

kenapalah budak2 ni kecik2 mak bapak dia orang tak cekik aje...

lol...

Ed RockStar said...

sebab mak bapak diorang pun macam gitu...