Friday, June 26, 2009

Tribute / Have you seen my childhood?

With the death of Michael Jackson, I have to confess that a good 7 years of my life have ended.

Oh the joy of being 2-8 years old. He didnt physically touch me (the father would have skinned his nose) but he coloured my childhood. The mother used to sing the songs of Jackson 5 and the Jacksons in the house. She and the father would laugh while attempting to sing those high-pitched parts and stuff. Then the uncle, who was staying with us, would play his cassette and LP on the sound system and made my brother and I sing and dance. My sweet grandmother would knit and laugh at us. She was entertained cause the brother and I loved her so much, we would have done anything.

Even dancing like a fool to MJ.
Complete with powder on the floor for us to do the moonwalk.

I remember the day the uncle brought home Thriller LP. It was the most horrifying day of my life. It was catchy at the start, the chorus was fantastic ... but when the voice started speaking towards the end, I felt a sense of panic. When the stupid laughter erupted, I ran all the way to my room and hid under the bed.

Never, ever do that to a child.
It's traumatising.

And when I was 8, the Father brought the brother and I to the movies to watch MOONWALKER.



I remember the sister was just being born and the father took the brother and I ... maybe he wanted to get out of the house, away from a shrieking baby. But man, when I was 8, the movie was the bomb!

After the uncle moved out and the grandma passed away, it was time for DANGEROUS in 1991. Will You Be There always reminded me of the grandma back then. Oh well.

All right. I am sadder at the end of my 'childhood' rather than the death of MJ. Argh, have you seen my childhood?

Oh well. MJ, you'll be missed nevertheless.



###

No comments: