Wednesday, July 08, 2009

My generation / Like a rolling stone

Der People of My Generation,
 
 
Do you find age catching up with you? Do you find that even though you watch what you eat, sleep well and stay youthful, some things have just...changed? Do you find yourself doing something which you wouldnt do 10 years ago? Do you catch yourself sounding like your dad/mom sometimes? And just how that felt?
 
Scary, isnt it?
 
'Scary' is the word to define stepping into mortgage land. It is also the word to use when you experience or anticapte parents, older siblings and relatives wilting in front of you. 'Scary' is the word when you finally need to figure how to use the washing machine, the stove, the sewing machine when your parents have outused them all. 'Scary' is the word to define how you move on in your life, thinking nothing and no one is permanent and that when push comes to shove, nothing is really that important.
 
'Scary' is such a scary word.
 
When I think I can deal with life, someone or something pops out and tells me I can't. Then I spend time dealing with the doubt, wasting precious time wherelse I can spend that time improving myself. How do we tell our loved ones nicely that, while some ways work for them, they may not work on us? Things like marriage, insurance, housing, choice of cable channels and education? No one's life is the same...just how do we learn?
 
Why can't school teach us how to deal with all these income tax, marriage, family planning, in-laws, ERP? The fastest way to travel from Tampines to Jurong? How to squeeze in the morning crowd and still get a seat on the MRT? The most polite way to tell someone of his offensive, and probably toxic, body odour?
 
And God, why cant I stay up late anymore?
 
 
 
###

No comments: