1130hrs
“The problem with popular music is that it keeps the working class down. When the worn out worker comes home from a mind numbing day at work, standing by the same assembly line repeating the same tasks hundreds of time, doing his absolutely best in fear of being fired, he cannot be bothered to think creative thoughts. He does not want to, nor does he have the resources to, stay in the reality and meet its demands. He therefore listens to popular music because listeners are distracted by the demands of the reality of the entertainment ...which does not demand attention either. This is also what the factory owners want him to do. They want him to relax and not ask difficult questions about his life, so that he is prepared for another working day at the factory.” (Adorno)
Baaaaah.
I like my music but the thought of being dumbed down is kind of revolting, don’t you think? So now what? Stop listening to popular music? But any genre, is popular among its listeners what. Then how? Start making my own music? Banging pots and tins?
Awrite I have enough of Media Culture stuff. For 3 days I have been reading the text and yet it seems the book is nowhere near finish. Been reading for 2 hours now and I think I have enough. I shall start reading up on another subject – Feature Writing –and prepare the PowerPoint material like and class activities. I have 2 weeks to prepare and psyche myself before actual teaching starts in 2 weeks’ time.
Oh.
It’s one more hour to lunchtime.
Think today I go check out Central at Clark Quay.
Maybe get a new shoes and get out of these silly ill-fitting pair i’ve worn today.
Things to bring tomorrow:
- Books
- Mug
- Leave-behind jacket/cardigan/shawl
- Food
1600hrs
Ooh 1.5 more hours to home.
Didnt join Irda and gang for lunch. Instead, I strolled down to Central Mall @ Clark Quay to have a look-see. Many nice shoe shops there but they didn’t have the shoes that I was looking for. Went to the basement and had lunch – blended milk tea, 2 soft-boiled eggs and peanut-buttered kaya toasts. So much for my macchiato.
It was beginning to drizzle as I made my way back to office. I hopped onto the bus and voila...4 minutes later and I was back...with a stomachache.
Anyway, I brought Snow White to work and after configuration, I can now surf the net, check my emails and all. However, MSN has been blocked...so yeah. But it doesn’t matter when I have Perez Hilton to entertain me.
Awrite, I have to get back to my work. Am planning lecture notes on Feature Writing.
Ah nice.
They block Blogger too.
P/S: I always like Izzy Stevens (GA) and Lynette Scavo (DH) because they are almost always stoic and unfortunate. However, season 3 of respective series end with them being a semi-home wrecker and a quasi-adulterer. Hurry up with Season 4 already!
###
No comments:
Post a Comment