I went nuts for a while.
Friday saw me (1) going for a medical check-up, (2) to the school to collect some books and then (3) to an x-ray. Concussed the whole afternoon until Nani picked me up at 2245hrs. We hit town...did a bit of catching up..and more catching up till three in the morning. Stayed up till 0700hrs cause of NPCC but at 0715, I decided not to go. What a waste of sleeping time.
But
But
But
I managed to sleep in a bit cause the appointment with the EDITOR was pushed to a later time. At 1445hrs, while it was still raining, I hopped onto a cab with bags containing manuscripts and thick files and went to West Coast Drive. Never been there before...it was so surreal. It was like going to another country altogether! The west side never fails to fascinate.
That doesnt mean I want to pack my bags and stay in Jurong.
Not all fascination is good.
Rushed to town to catch a show. Thank God only missed the first few minutes. Oh well.








Why isnt this show showing at The Picturehouse is beyond me...
LA VIE EN ROSE (LA Môme) is intriguing but it would have been so much better if it's tidier. Not sticking to a chronological order, though creative, confuses the whole plot. One moment – just as the scene is getting interesting – is soon replaced with another disjointed one. Decades jump and there is no apology about it. It doesnt help when Edith Piaf looks all right one moment, and on her death-bed the next.
Non, rien de rien (Non No, nothing at all)
Je ne regrette rien (I regret nothing at all)
Ni le bien qu'on m'a fait ni le mal (Not the good, nor the bad)
Tout ca m'est bien egal (It is all the same)
Non, rien de rien (Non No, nothing at all)
Non, Je ne regrette rien (No, I regret nothing at all)
C'est paye, balaye, oublie (It is paid, wiped away, forgotten)
Je me fous du passe (I am not concerned with the past)
Avec mes souvenirs (With my memories)
J'ai allume le feu mes shagrins, mes plaisirs (I set fire to my pains and pleasures)
Je n'ai plus besoin d'eux (I don’t need them anymore)
Balaye les amours avec leurs Temolos (I've wiped away my loves, and my troubles)
Balaye pour toujours (Swept them all away)
Je reparas a zero (I am starting again from zero)
Non, rien de rien (Non No, nothing at all)
Non, Je ne regrette rien (No, I regret nothing at all)
Car ma vie, car me joies (Because my life, my happiness, everything)
Aujourd'hui ca commence avec toi (Today starts with you)
- Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien, Edith Piaf
LA VIE EN ROSE is a very sad movie. I like tragic stories. Behind every gregarious person, there’s almost always a heartrending story. Anyway this film has a lot flaws. Many important aspects of Piaf’s life aren’t shown. Important parts where she participated during the World War II, her accident, the cause of her morphine addiction, her marriages .. are unfortunately omitted. Directors choose to play it as a tragic-romantic one because the truth is less harsh probably. They must have been impressionists, romantics…unorthodox..or just plain eccentrics.
However, the lead Marion Cotillard plays doomed Edith Piaf to a perfection. Think she is really the glue. Amidst the depressing plot and gloomy cinematography, Cotillard brings out the life extremely well. But of course…it’s because she has the honour of playing Piaf and there is no other way to be Piaf, Everything has to be perfect.
Brilliant.
Was trying hard not to cry…otherwise I would have tasted tears and that would forfeit my fast. Yeah…fasting and yet a movie? Tsk tsk!
But ah..glad I caught it nevertheless.
P/S: Biopics of famous people always revolve around booze, drugs, vulnerable love, plane crashes and helpless friends. Damn, I’ll never be famous at this rate.
P/P/S: Why must JAY bloody Chou (ni ma pi?) come to Singapore when I finally start my bloody work? I had 2 months to see him and yet, he has to choose the 30th of July to make a bloody appearance. Oh Jay...why are you doing this to me?

Huo huo huo huo huo huo
I come in peace.
###
No comments:
Post a Comment