Security tight as Indian Kashmir votes in state polls
Posted: 17 November 2008 1415 hrs
SUMBHAL, India: Indian Kashmir voted under tight security Monday for a new state government, with separatists staging a massive boycott to protest New Delhi's hold over the Himalayan region.
Kashmir was put under direct federal rule in July, when the state government collapsed following its controversial decision to give land in the Muslim-majority region to a Hindu pilgrim trust.
That crisis sparked a revival of Muslim protests reminiscent of the early 1990s when an insurgency against New Delhi's rule had just begun, and caused the death of nearly 50 Muslims.
The state elections are being staggered over seven phases, enabling authorities to mount a huge security operation as successive areas vote.
The last stage of voting is scheduled for December 24 in Srinagar - the urban hub of anti-India rebels.
In the first stage of elections on Monday, voting was held in ten of the total of 87 state assembly segments, including this town situated 30 kilometres (18 miles) north of Srinagar.
"Although the campaigning was peaceful, we have received information that the militants will not remain silent," local police chief Kuldeep Khoda said.
Khoda said adequate deployments have been made to ensure "free, fair and peaceful polling."
Both hardline pro-Pakistan rebels and moderate separatist politicians argue any polls strengthen India's sway over the disputed state.
Srinagar and other towns were almost totally locked down, as thousands of troops were out in force to prevent anti-election rallies, witnesses said.
Kashmir is held in part by nuclear-armed India and Pakistan but claimed in full by both nations, which have fought two wars over the region.
The countries began talks to settle the region's future in 2004 but there have been no breakthroughs, further frustrating the mood in Kashmir.
- AFP/yb
-------------------------------------------
Okay.
My holiday plan seldom goes smoothly, I tell you.
Srinagar is where we will be but looking at this piece of info, I doubt I would want to be caught in a crossfire. What Pinku said was true; it is a dangerous place. But...but...but..
I am just amazed that the tour agency hasnt got the brains to think about this. Hello, do you even read up on the happenings of the places; places where you dump your paying customers to? I am just amazed that they dont have back-up plans. What will surprise me even more will be them not being able to amend itinerary.
This travel agency is definitely not up to par, I personally feel. I shall give them till the weekend to come up with solutions before I start telling names ...
...and creating a will.
P/S: Dammit. I do want to see the Himalayas. Dont make me change location to Nepal. I've been eyeing that place since I was 18.
P/P/S: But Nepal has no Taj Mahal. Uwaaaarrggh!!
###
No comments:
Post a Comment