Met Clara and Weiling on Friday evening after finishing the movie review. Followed them shop and after a long, long, long dinner, Clara and I bade Weiling farewell and we both made our way to St James Power House (or is it Power Station? Entah!)
The place is huge and the queues are snaking. I am not interested in all those rooms, save for one. Thank God Clara agreed and we both headed to the Bellini room - live jazz music. Pity that the place is more Bubble rather than Sinatra or Fitzgerald. But hah…this is Singapore. Duh.
We only got seats beside the band. Accoustics werent so good there.
Never mind. Next time.
I told Clara that the jazz musicians looked very tired and listless.
Most probably it is because they play at funerals during the day…and Bellini Room at night.
Heh.
More people would have been more fun.
But the two of us had a nice, tame time by ourselves.
When the band finished its final set at about 0230hrs, we skipped home..but not before checking out other rooms like the manic DragonFly (wahlao that beng place is damn happening) and the one that whips Latin/Cuban music. The latter is sizzling hot. Aye carumba!
Saturday had me seated pensively in religious class. Hahaha. Less than 24 hours ago, I was in a hell-fire on Earth. But I believe in balance and besides the class was only a lecture/talk by a charismatic religious man (Zakaria Bagharib). It was in English and there wasn’t any pressure or anything. So yeah… Anyway, we touched on achieving worldly gains and higher education in regards to Islam. I like.
Meiling made me (haha!) watch Stomp The Yard with her yesterday evening at Bishan. So after class, I half-heartedly stomped to Bishan while Sharinah made her way to work.
The movie?
Unoriginal.
At all.





Maybe I have watched too many dance or ghetto-in-da-hood kind of shows like Honey, 8 Mile, You’ve Got Served, Step Up, Take The Lead and Drumline. This show is just a mixture of all of them. ALL OF THEM.
STOMP THE YARD takes place in a slightly atas black university. Why atas? Because we see fraternities and sororities taking pride in their academic achievements. We are introduced to the Alphas, Betas, Gammas, Pis, Thetas and the whole lot of A Maths algebraic terms. But no…this movie totally disregards anything academic and instead focus on this thing called “stepping.”
Stepping
a bit of line dancing + a bit of Maori Haka dance + a Chris Rock skit show + street dance
+
+
+ 
The plot is boring. A group provokes another. Someone dies…someone else gets the blame. Someone tries to start a new living and gets pulled back into old ways along the way. Someone sees a girl. Someone faces obstacles…bla bla bla. In the end, there will be a dance competition and the main lead wins.
Predictable, no?
The only person who provides a charming sight for sore eyes is Chris Brown. Even then he gets shot during the first 15 minutes of the show. What the hell….And besides, the dancing is not very good. I have seen better on The Wade Robson Project.
Watch STOMP THE YARD only if you have money to burn or you just want to wriggle in your seat with frustration. I must have irritated Meiling with my constant “Come on, man!” and “It’s so predictable!” When Meiling told me how much she loved the show, I just stared at her blankly.
Then I went “What show?”
Hah.
Anyway…all was not lost. Man U won the match against Bolton and I managed to catch Giselle on the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show on StarWorld.
Oh bring your sexy back!
Meiling: The world must have people like us so that they know what “being slim” is.
Ed: It is not fair…boo hoo…
And now…Sunday is soon coming to dusk.
Work beckons.
P/S: The father wants a holiday again next month. And surprise..surprise..he wants to go Australia again. This time round, it’s either Brisbane or Melbourne. And now…I am again pulling my hair out in planning the trip.
P/P/S: I can predict another visa problem coming up.
###
2 comments:
go both!! but melbourne is the best!
tho its gd if u have $$ to shop in melbourne!! so many kooky stuff there. i came back broke like hell ... and am still broke now.. haha.
oh no! shopping is not good. not when i am bringing 2 shopping monsters (aka the parents) with me. am sticking to gold coast thank u!
Post a Comment