It was raining the shit out of Monday this morning. I was at MOE so I was pretty much dry. Meeting ended at 1100hrs and i hopped down Tanjong Pagar to pay my insurance and then hopped to Suntec for lunch. That place is my #1 shopping place just because it has Topshop, Dorothy Perkins and La Senza in a straight line. And if you walk further down, there is the ADIDAS concept store. Woohoo! Upstairs, there is Tower Records and beside it, there is Why Pay More. Woohoo woohoo! There is a movie cineplex, Watson’s and there is karaoke. Food? Plenty! Desserts?? Gelare, Yami Yoghurt..NYDC..many!
Not i didnt shop. For the simple reason that I shouldnt.

26 more days to LONDON!
On Sunday, at my cousin’s wedding, the hired music ppl made a honest boo-boo. Of all the songs they played, they had to play Ayahku Kahwin Lagi (My Dad Marries Again) (and yes, there is such a title). It was such an awkward and funny (to my bro, dad and i) situation. You see, my cousin's parents are recently divorced (a very bitter affair, i must say) and his dad has remarried again. When the song was played, my cousin was there entertaining his colleagues. I looked at him and it was obvious that he tried to be nonchalant about it. My dad was standing across the hall way and he flashed a sheepish smile. It was so sadly hilarious. My brother who was standing beside me was already clutching his round tummy. Then my dad went over to the music people asking them to change song. Then the music people...without any segue or fading out..just cut the song awkwardly and played a cheery number. I had to walk away to laugh.
Nothing much happened other than the fact that Marlinah and i were clinging onto each other cause we were so out of place. Suhana's friends were there as helpers so we were out of job. It could have been a good thing if there werent many old neneks asking us when are we getting married (not to each other lar, doink!)
Nenek 1: Ni anak Wahab kan?
Nenek 2: Yang ni kan anak Wak Dol
Nenek 1: Bila korang nak kahwin?
Hai...Bila korang nak mati? Read: When are you going to die?
But the best comments came from Cik Jun (i had no idea hoodafark she was). She was talking to me mom when i came and passed something to her (mom). Ok i translate...
Cik Jun: This is your daughter? Wah so big already!
Mother: Of courselah...you cant be growing smaller right?
Cik Jun: Sec what?
Mona: Sec what??? Do I look 16? (in my heart: woohoo!)
Mother: Har? She is 25 and working already!
Cik Jun: So fast? Isnt she your youngest daughter?
Mother: No, this is my eldest.
Cik Jun: Oooooh Mona! Pretty ah...
And from a stranger, Cik Jun became my favourite relative in a matter of minutes.
Marlinah sent me home in a cab before she headed home herself at Toa Payoh. I ran home, took out my black dress and the shawl, touched up my make up, drank a cup of milk and dumped the idea of wearing stilletos for a slightly shorter heels. My hair was giving me some headache too – tie, let down, ponytail, bun?? My room was in a total mess when i left – make up was everywhere, clothes were strewn on my bed, accessories were scattered on my dressing table. It was hurricane-swept.
Jumped down the stairs in my heels, black dress, dangling earrings and beaded blue hand bag to the void deck. It began to drizzle as i was waiting for a cab. Thank God the rain stopped when I reached Chevrons at Jurong, $11.40 less later. There at the lobby, i saw the boyfriends and the girlfriends cuddling to one another. Na fucking bei.
At 1830hrs, we went to the poolside. Ah Kiong and Liting came out, looking gorgeous in their cream coloured bridal costumes, with the setting West-side sun as their backdrop. There, they both had their ROM ceremony by the pool. I thought they would have it earlier at ROM itself but Kiong wanted to do it on the same day. VERY GOOD MOVE!

The minister made them say vows which were so touching. In fact, for the whole wedding, the short ceremony was to me, the most heartfelt. Of course after they kiss, we threatened to throw Kiong inside the pool. Yes, we have a problem.
At 1930hrs, guests were ushered into the ballroom. I was seated in a table of lovers. Wait, both tables were lovers' corner. I sat with Shadiq (Ash, who is converting soon..wow), Aidil (nameless fiancee), Din (Idah) and Fifi (Norizan). The other table had Izwandy (Norizan), Ardi (Atiqah) and Kiong's 2 malay poly pals and their partners. Occasionally Thomas, my baby stand-in lover, would come over.
Kiong and Liting had the typical cheesy photo slides and stuff. Of all the shots, i liked the one where they showed Kiong in his primary one class photo. It zoomed in on his super nerdy face..zoomed out..and then zoomed in again..this time on liting's super nerdy face, Yes, they knew each other since primary school.
Food was good and after I got past the hang-up of having to sit with couples, i kind of enjoyed myself. To think i actually wanted to give kiong's wedding a miss simply because i didnt want to be distressed by others' couplehood! Tsk tsk! Of course i had to take food for myself when other girls had their boyfriends (yes..my guy friends are really really sweet and nice) giving them the best parts and shelling their prawns. But Fifi and Norizan were sweet. He put food on her plate and she put food on mine. A bit of a twisted sight but sweet nevertheless.
Then while eating, some smart aleck wanted to take a picture of each couple. Then when it came to me, i almost wanted to give the photographer (it is from the table but I shall not name that asshole) the finger but Rohaidah and Norizan who were sitting on my sides quickly posed with me. Oh well.
Everything ended at 2300hrs and i sleepily walked out of the ballroom before being stopped by the drunk Junxian who wanted to kiss me on the lips. Sod off! Was kind of saved by Kiong's father. Of all my friends' fathers, kiong's dad must be my most favourite one. And last night, he said i had the most beautiful eyes in the ballroom. Heh..and he told me to just wait for somebody to come into my life and not be sad about it. "You will one day feel the electric," he said. Thank you, Uncle.
Din and Fifi were outside when they saw Kiong's dad smoking. He told them that it was the happiest day of his life. He was so so happy that he felt like crying. I could tell he was happy. Hell, we all could. He made the loudest and most boisterous yum seng on the stage.
I went to Kiong and then he hugged me. It was really a sincere embrace and I could feel it. It made me quite sad to see him leave for Arizona come August. I hugged Liting and wanted to verbally wish her all the best, have a blissful marriage and stuff..but those words couldnt come up. I settled for "I will see you in Arizona instead." Big mouth.
So next year, I am going to New York AND Arizona.
Martina drove me home. She was another single girl who felt out of place. Worst still, she only knew a few people there. I hung out with her earlier but couldnt do that in the ballroom cause we were seated quite a distance away. Oh well.
Remember last night i said i had enough of weddings for the year? I just remembered. Ardi is getting married this Christmas.
Bugger.
No comments:
Post a Comment