It’s on this Thursday at the National Stadium.
Anyone?
Anyway it is Sunday morning and I should have been in class. But…
1.I woke up at 9
2.I cant find my jeans
3.I cant decide what to wear
4.I cant find the trash bag that holds my non-office clothes.
Yes. This sucks.
Past few days had been crazy. Thursday saw me rush to Dhoby Ghaut’s The Cathay after a hectic time at school. Met Vinz, CY2, SX and Adrian for another movie and to pass birthday presents to SX and CY2 (FINALLY!).
Oh, the movie?
It was BABEL.








Last shot was, yup, Gael Garcia Bernal … one of my most highly favoured actors because of his highly-intellectually-sexualised aura.
In the Hebrew’s Book of Genesis, there was this story where the Tower of Babel was built by a united humanity in order to reach to the heavens and God. That act and intentioned tremendously angered The Big One and in his fit, he bestowed upon the people tongues of different languages so that their mission (seen as an act of defiance) would be thwarted and that confusion and miscommunication would destroy all. And in this movie, it is indeed a bag of utter confusion, desperation, hopelessness and salvation.
BABEL, towards the end, depresses the hell out of me. The hopelessness and desperation really knock some senses. Director Inarritu, taking cue from Baz Luhrmann, uses BABEL as the closing end of his trilogy which include Amores Perros and 21 Grams – all about using intertwining stories.
No one is the evil perpetrator in BABEL. Okay, maybe certain people/agencies/organisations which managed to instil fear. Everyone is pushed to a degree of desperation and seeks solace in whatever little hope they have. It is unfair to label the maid selfish. Yes she drags the kids to Mexico, but it is her son’s wedding for Pete’s sake. And she has tried to find alternatives but no one can help her. It is unfair to chastise the fellow tourists on the bus too because they have their own plans and one even needs to go back to take medication. It is unfair to demonise the kids and gun-totting people of the mountains because it is the only thing they know what to do. The world is unfair.
Oh well.
BABEL starts off really slowly before climaxing to just … slow. It has a sort of a mind-numbing effect, pulling you into the dusty trails of Morocco/Tunisia, the grimy heat of Mexico and the heady lights of Tokyo, Japan. I love the show. I just cant help feeling miserable. I mean come on, I was a communication student for 4 years before working in the same industry. I can dare say that the study of communication is my life. Yet it is true like what Inarritu hits in BABEL. There’s no avoiding of miscommunication and confusion. We humans just don’t listen enough.
We don’t listen enough.
Okay now...go away.
###
No comments:
Post a Comment