Monday, January 29, 2007

What..another week gone?

Friday saw me meeting the gurlies – Liah, Weiling, Clara and Noreen – at Thai Express @ Marina Square. It was nice talking to them … the usual stuff..work, life, men, husband, boyfriends and stuff. Mostly they talked, I listened. Same old…same old.





Noreen bought roses for all of us. And I got my present. Cold hard cash…haha. That will go to my contact lens trust fund.

Thank you ladies.

After that, one by one left, leaving Clara and I behind. We didn’t want to go home so we decided to catch a show instead. We intended to watch Blood Diamond but there was no showing. So we watched MISS POTTER instead.





After watching a series of sad and gory movies, MISS POTTER came like a breath of fresh air. The show was about Beatrix Potter, the creator of Peter Rabbit, the most loved children’s book/character of all time. Renee Zellweger was perfect for the role – well she is an honorary British and single. Sounds like Bridget Jones.

MISS POTTER borders on being very harmless and too perfect because the show has no villains (other than society’s prejudice) and there is no tragic drama that is obviously shown to the audience. Instead, it ropes in the viewers to feel along with the lead characters and in this show, the feelings are that of tenderness and slow-burning passion. The cinematography in this movie is EXCELLENT. Again, it is EXCELLENT as we see the beautiful English countryside at the turn of the 20th century. The mountains, the lakes, the forests…gorgeous.


“The most exciting words are the first words of a story. They take you on a journey. my story brought me here. Where I belong.” Miss Potter


Of course I have a little fondness for it because both she and I are ..ahem..writers.


MISS POTTER is enchanting and if you seriously need a good pick-me-up, feel good kind of show, this is the one. Renee is splendid and she is fast becoming one of my favourite actresses (Bridget Jones, Cold Mountain, Nurse Betty, Down With Love, Jerry McGuire, The Bachelor, Chicago…). There are definitely flair, comic timing and genuineness that she brings. Awwwwwww.

And the fact that Ewan McGregor, one of my top 5 favourite actors, is in it makes it even more … err..aww-worthy.

...

Saturday saw me going to NPCC and just like the week before (aka the birthday) I fell asleep at around 1500hrs and woke up late for my meeting. I was supposed to meet Wanyi, Yushan and Yiling at Raffles MRT at 1800hrs but I only woke up 30 minutes earlier…unshowered and unprepared. Took a cab down to the Asian Civilisation Museum once I was ready and met the girls there.

What was the occasion?
It was Shadiq-Ash’s wedding.



Wanyi, Yiling, Yushan and I managed to find seats at the corner of the ballroom. We shared the table with 2 of Shadiq’s former cadets. They soon recognised me. Urgh..I felt so old. Anyway we couldn’t see the video montage and couldn’t really see the newly-weds. So we entertained ourselves with food, jokes and cam-whoring.






The food was nice and the dessert selection was great. I thought the black-pink décor was nice too. But of course, the best was the company of friends. Old friends.

Here’s Fifi starting it off…by trying to eat the mic.




Of course the last picture is the picture of the couple who will get married next…Din and Ida! June 2008…mark that month, ya’ll.

After the wedding, we girls (plus Fifi) made our way to Boat Quay’s TCC to chill and also to celebrate Wanyi’s birthday. I managed to take a shot before the bloody phone went dead.

So yeah..Happy birthday Wanyi. Or is it Amberle?


Birthday girl and Yushan.
The latter looks shock.
Maybe because she just found out her good friend’s English name is “Amber…with an ‘le’ at the back.”

0130hrs and we split ways.
I was tired like fuck.
Went home..caught the Man U versus Portsmouth match and fell asleep towards the end.
And we knew then what happened on Sunday.
I didn’t go to class.


P/S: Shadiq and Ash, I wish you a lifetime of marital bliss. May you spend your entire lives in the wonderful company of each other. God bless.

###

No comments: