Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Shedding light about God's angels


I just want to say that I am not jaded. In fact, I am not fit to be jaded. Not fit, yes.

You sit there in your heartache
Waiting on some beautiful boy to
To save you from your old ways
You play forgiveness
Watch it now here he comes


He doesn't look a thing like Jesus
But he talks like a gentleman
Like you imagined

When you were young

Can we climb this mountain ...I don't know
Higher now than ever before
I know we can make it if we take it slow
Let's take it easy
Easy now, watch it go

We're burning down the highway skyline
On the back of a hurricane that started turning
When you were young
When you were young

And sometimes you close your eyes
And see the place where you used to live
When you were young

They say the devil's water it ain't so sweet
You don't have to drink right now
But you can dip your feet
Every once in a little while

I said he doesn't look a thing like Jesus
He doesn't look a thing like Jesus
But more than you'll ever know
- When You Were Young, The Killers


Girls grow up believing that one day, they will be swept off their feet by a beautiful man. How many had their dreams come true? Yet, how many haven't regretted?

....

Am just waiting for the brother and his friend to be done with the laptop so that I can do my work. It’s past midnight already and I predict it is going to be another all-nighter. Might as well. The Queen E is here and I have nowhere to sleep anyway.

As I was mindlessly surfing the net, a question posed by the religious lecturer came to mind:
If Allah is all-powerful, why does He need angels to carry out his commands?

Hmm…Have you got any idea?

“The Qur’an also speaks of angels as playing a crucial role in processes like creation, prophecy, spiritual life, death, resurrection, and the workings of natural elements. For instance, there is an angel who brings the thunder, and he, too, serves God and obeys His command. Other angels are in charge of embryos in wombs, or responsible for protecting human beings.

The Qur’an speaks of the charge of the angel of death in these verses:
[The angel of death, who has been charged with you, will gather you; then to your Lord you will be returned.]
(As-Sajdah 32:11)

The Qur’an also mentions angels in connection with Heaven and Hell:
[Gardens of Eden which they shall enter ... and the angels shall enter unto them from every gate.]
(Ar-Ra`d 13:23)

Also angels record the deeds of humans as long as they are on earth:
[There are over you watchers, noble writers, who know whatever you do.] (Al-Infitar 82:10-12)

[Over every soul there is a watcher.] (At-Tariq 86:4)

Angels are also mentioned in many hadiths. For example, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is reported to have said that when people gather together in remembrance of God, “The angels surround them, mercy covers them, peace descends on them, and God remembers them among those who are with Him”
(At-Tirmidhi).

Angels are different from human beings in that they do not have a will of their own. They were created for the specific purpose of serving God and carrying out His commands. Some angels are in a state of constant worship of God, prostrating to Him and never raising their heads.”

[Angels in Islam: Creatures of Light By Prof. Shahul Hameed]


Mucho grazias!

I disagree with the notion that angels are God’s helpers. God, being God, is all-powerful and thus He doesn’t need help. I don’t buy the suggestion that the Earth is too big for Him to govern because remember, He is the creator of all universe and not just Earth.

So what do I buy?

My proposed answer (pardon the lack of research and shallow knowledge) is that God loves humans so much that He gives them angels to remind them of His divinity. He bestows us angels so that we can be reminded of Heaven and Hell and Judgement Day. He makes us aware of the presence of angels so that we can acknowledge His greatness. Knowing that we have Munkar and Nakir (God’s angels) questioning us about our faith in God when we die make us prepare ourselves and accumulate good deeds so as to be in favour of God.

That’s my answer.
If only I have the balls to answer my lecturer in class.

Anyway more to angels.

No one knows if angels have wings or are halo-ed. Men visualised them to be that way, to romanticise them. Many of us aspire to be angels but in truth, we are better than angels. God create both us and angels but He didn’t give them the power to have their own free will. They are just loyal servants of God. To put it in a rougher term, your average Sunday Maria has more freedom than the angels that people normally idolised.

There is no such thing as a fallen angel because angels are not programmed that way. They are made to obey. Before we assume that they are perfect, just remember they have no free-will, the ability to think and the ability to learn. We, humans, are capable of that. That, in the eyes of God, makes us better than angels. He allows us to learn, decide/choose, make mistakes, repent and be an even better person.

Therefore do not aspire to be an angel.
Aspire to be the best that you can be.

Wah wah wah.

I am just glad I find my answer to the lecturer’s question. Now I can start my work.

###

No comments: