I watched The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe last night with Lauren, Nani and Ismail. I loved the show…except the beginning was a little draggy. Get to the fight scene already!
…..
My cousin (technically, he’s my cousin’s hubby but we all love him so much to care) dropped dead this morning. Literally. He was at his food stall in Geylang Bahru, serving breakfast to his customers when suddenly, he collapsed. And died. Just like that.
But then again…
He had a history of chronic gout, strokes and maybe some other heart problems. However, at this moment, the cause of his death is still unknown. My cousin was a generous man. He was arguably the better-off one in the family. He used to stay in a maisonette in Kembangan, and then moved to three-storey gigantic terrace house in Kembangan also before coming to his current residence…a “modest” 4-room flat in Geylang Bahru (near the longkang) because he bought a food stall nearby and he wanted to be close to his relatives. I have like a gazillion relatives living in Geylang Bahru.
Anyway, this cousin was so affable. Everyone loved him even though he was an outsider who was married into the family. His birthday parties (he loved to organise parties for the little cousins/nephews/nieces) were out of the world and he always had the best food, the best snacks and the best candies. I remember when I was in primary school and very poor, my cousin and wife “hired” (in a pleasant sense) the mother to clean their house once or twice the week. I would follow and help to do laundry and there would be treats for me in the fridge and stuff.
This cousin has a food stall in Haig Road. You know the corner stall at S11? He owns that but he lets his brother-in-law runs it. He also has a café in MacPherson CC. He was a picture of creativity…innovation … determination. He was there to send me off when I went away to Perth. He wanted his daughter to grow up and study just like me.
And I wanted to be successful. Just like him.
May God bless your soul.
May He look after your wife (Kak Imah) and Sarah and Faris well.
May you rest in peace.
*sniff*
I took a half day leave to go visit my cousin (the wife). But when the mother and I got there, the body was still not at home. After staying for about 30 minutes, I decided to leave. It was all too depressing and well, I didn’t have anything to do. Stupid period stopped me from praying and reading verses of the Quran. So I made my way back to work. Will have to take unpaid (no more leave days already) leave tomorrow…half day.
Guys….
Stay healthy. Please. It’s true that death can come anytime and anywhere…but being healthy sure helps to stay alive. I am writing this as I am gorging some chocs. The irony. But I am upset. Let me eat, can?
And it’s because this dead one gave me my best chocolate moments many years back. There was a spread of choc candies on his table and like Charlie in the chocolate factory, I was in awe. Then I became Augustus Gloop and ate. I got my first nosebleed on my way home..totally soaked my blouse.

He will definitely be missed.
Especially on Hari Rayas, in birthday parties, family retreats, gatherings, weddings.
I will miss him coming over to my house and parking himself in the kitchen and flirting with all the mak ciks.
Bless you.
P/S: The next “major” family event, he said, would br my (forever) impending wedding. Hah. I cant believe we would all gather at his funeral tomorrow instead.
###
1 comment:
I'm sorry... *hug*
cy
Post a Comment