Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My Illustrious Sporting Career

I still have 2.5 days of leave left…after the Hari Raya fiasco.

But then, my November is burnt. My books haven’t been printed and well, everything else doesn’t matter. And oh, next week, 3 new manuscripts (raw ones) are coming in. Higher Malay material. Fucking hell. Here we go again.

I should have learned Braille.



Tough.


The washing machine protested and refused to work. It must be a French product. So for the past few days, I’ve been busy washing my clothes in my tiny bathroom manually. No joke okay. It’s a back breaking task.


Kesian aku.

Hahaha. Kind of brought me back to my Ubin camping days. I would find a big rock/boulder, put my tshirt on it and then take another small stone to scrub the dirt off. Would be squatting outside the toilet at night, fearing being interrupted by pontianak. Did jump out of fright on several occasions. Thank God those guys were from the sentry duty team.

ARGH!
I HATE sentry duty.


Went to the gym last night and I think I have busted my left knee. Perhaps it was triggered by the extremely high heels I wore on Day 1 of Hari Raya. Not sure…but I think rowing was a bad move last night. I hate this. My body parts are wearing out.



Exactly same time last year, I hurt my metatarsal bone on my left foot. I tripped over a metal deadweight and landed on the stairs. Took me 3 months to recover and much difficulty wearing shoes with one foot bigger than the other.

Come to think of it. I’ve got many injuries growing up. Thank God I’ve only 1 visible scar. The rest were from the &^*@#$ chicken pox.


Not my leg, obviously.
But I do have an almost similar scar on my right knee.


Got that “souvenir” in Sec 4 (or was it Sec 3?) while playing netball. Fell on the parade square and the skin busted open, creating a deep gash. My classmate fainted upon seeing so much blood. Me? I was more worried about having blood soaking my sock. I didn’t go to the doctor’s to have it sewn. I should have. It took me 1 month for it to heal.

Then while playing captain’s ball one day, an opponent whacked my calf, I fell down and busted my left knee. My calf was bruised and my left knee was twisted. Then while playing basketball, I almost broke a few fingers (I have no idea how!), broke a few of my specs and bruised my nose once.


Then once during a long jump heats, I landed wrongly and busted my right knee. I was rolling on the sand in pain. I scared off the rest of the contestants. The event was discontinued.


I’m on a roll!


During an obstacle course, we had to climb this “suicide window”. I had to step on 1 horizontal wooden pole and held on to the other horizontal wooden pole which was high above my head. Guys must have encountered this during NS. I had to pull myself up above the top pole, flipped over and jumped off the lower pole and onto the ground. The problem was…this obstacle was built very high. I had to climb a ladder, up a tree, just to get to the lower stepping pole.

Because I am short, I had difficulty pulling myself above the top pole. Then I had to flip over and grab the lower pole with my hand before landing. I did just that but I wasn’t prepared for the height down. Sprawled on my back…almost breaking my spine.


Then during a kayaking expedition, I was paired with a klutz of a partner. I was seated in front. My partner had a difficulty getting into the kayak. He/she (cant remember) didn’t follow the instructions of “going backside first, not legs”. The partner gallantly stepped into the kayak and overturned it.

Remember I was already seated in front?

I was caught unaware and was overturned along with the kayak. As we were still in shallow waters, I overturned and my head hit the seabed…which unfortunately had sharp rocks on it. I wanted to scream bloody murder! I’ve got a few cuts on my temples, man!


Man.
All those in my teen years!



Not forgetting the kerosene-burnt hands and the countless rope burns on my body. And that one time I almost cracked my (finger)bones during the air rifle shooting...bla bla bla.

Primary school I had swollen hands from carrying iron balls during shot put practices, cuts and blistered feet from running barefoot on dusty field and doing long jump on rough grainy sand, swollen ear after it was bashed by an idiot while we were playing baseball…and a phobia of killing someone with the javelin.



Man..I could have been an athlete now. Maybe I wouldn’t be so fat and short.


Why ah? I guess in secondary school I was too afraid to show my “jock”-side. Plus, almost all my friends fell into the anti-jock category. It’s hard you know…especially when your friends’ opinions mattered.

I had this girl whom I hung out quite often with. She’s like “Eww this” and “Eww that”. It was like she’s uber-cool or something. But back then, I didn’t care. I was just happy to have friends. She was so against school and its activities. I had many friends who were like that, too. I guess being in Mayflower left them disillusioned. I got affected. I couldn’t help it.

Looking back, I regretted not taking up the late Tan Chee Kok’s offer of playing bball for the school. I was worried about what my friends would say. I did turn up for badminton trials however, but was turned away. Instead, I became the illegal sparring partner for the Indonesian boys during PE lessons and before school. Few months later, the girls’ team was disbanded anyway. HAHAHAHAHA. Padan muka!


Oh well.


That’s my “sports career” in a nutshell. I long for those days again. I want to pick up a new sport. The last being floorball. It’s harder to find kakis as we get older. Work, family, commitments are great factors to consider.

Right now…I’ll have to be contented with the impending SEA Games. It could be me in there.


I hope this old train breaks down
Then I could take a walk around
See what there is to see, time is just a melody
With all the people in the street
Walking fast as their feet
Can take them, I just roll through town
And though my window’s got a view
Well the frame I’m looking through
Seems to have no concern for now
So for now I

I need this here old train to breakdown
Oh please just let me please just breakdown

But you can’t stop nothing if you got no control
Of the thoughts in your mind that you kept and you know
That you don’t know nothing but you don’t need to know
The wisdom’s in the trees not the glass windows
You can’t stop wishing if you don’t let go
Of the things that you find and you lose and you know
You keep on rolling, put the moment on hold
Because the frame’s too bright, so put the blinds down low

I need this here old train to breakdown
Oh please just let me please just breakdown


I got to break on down
But I can’t stop now
- Breakdown, Jack Johnson


Okay.
Need to search for “how to plan a hen night” now.

###

No comments: