Friday, April 04, 2008

Brown eyes blue

Jeans are such common wear now.
However, they definitely have come a long way.


I remember my first pair. A Lee Cooper (sounds like Lauren's car now). I got it at 12 years old after years (yes, years!) of begging for them. I dont know why but the mother refused to get one for me when I was much younger. It's like...I would turn into a beast, a rebel, a crackhead if I were to put on a pair of jeans. So yeah, pre-Lee Cooper, I was always wearing skirts, culottes (ew!) and 80s inspired dresses.


Vintage fashion.
Wow.
Yip-pee.


But yeah, what would a 10-year-old know? Those shoulder pads and over the top 80s fashion. Anyway, that developed my disgust awkward feelings towards 80s. The sheer horror that the mother made me wear because "It's in fashion!" All I wanted was a pair of jeans!

So yeah, when I put on my first jeans, I didnt want to take it off. And that summed up my whole tween years - stonewashed, bootcut, baggy like crazy, torn and tattered, ripped at the seams, safety-pinned at the crotch. Haha teenage years.

And now, I have 7 pairs of them in my wardrobe and I dont want to wear them.

Guess I have come full circle.



P/S: This entry is inspired by my students' articles on fashion.


###

No comments: