








DEFINITELY MAYBE is your average quest-for-love narrative, in the perspective of a male. Coming from the makers of Nottinghill, Bridget Jones and Love Actually, it is a sugar-coated schmaltzy offering. I still think the British ones are better, though.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Will Hayes: I had two serious girlfriends... and then some other smattering of other women.
Maya Hayes: What's the boy word for 'slut'?
Will Hayes: They still haven't come up with one yet.
...
April: You and me, it'd kinda be like cats and dogs.
Will Hayes: Oil and water.
April: Sand paper and bare ass.
Will Hayes: That's gross.
...
Will Hayes: This song is an excellent cure for the will to live.
...
Maya Hayes: Dad, I can't believe you drank... and smoked... and was such a slut... But I still love you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DEFINITELY MAYBE has the potential to be greater. Many aspects of the movie are just glossed over, making everything looks cute. Abigail Breslin and Ryan Reynolds are such a charm to watch. Breslin, who can look freakishly like Kirsten Dunst in Interview With The Vampire, has an old people aura...je ne sais pas, quite enigmatic, I guess.
Reynolds, well, he's a goofball. Not in the irritating Dane Cook/Ashton Kutcher/Van Wilder(!) kind of way, but slight subtler. And personally, he's dating ScarJo. If ScarJo wants you, hey, you're the man for me. Haha.
Anyway back to the movie. I dont especially hate it but I've seen the likes of it before. How is Reynolds' character a slut? He didnt cheat with anyone and he didnt throw himself at girls. So I am quite confused. Did I miss the part where he prostitutes himself?
And Rachel Weisz! What a waste of stunning beauty and substance. The screen lights up when she's in it. Alas...her appearances are limited. The romance between Reynolds' and Isla Fisher's characters are not convincing also. It is slow-burning all right, but again, I dont know. No substance. Sidetrack: Isla Fisher is pretty though. I cant believe at the end of the day, she shares the same bed with Borat.
Fine.
I read too much into it.
It's just a movie.
Bah.
And bah-ness is what I've been feeling of late, cooped at work till late, shuffling between classes and dousing myself in red ink. If I'm not in class, I'm in the MassComm room marking. I set up my computer at the side, plug to some online radio and depending on my mood, choose a music genre. Some days I go urban, some days I go indie. Some days I go electronica/dance. Mostly it's rock - classic, anthemic, deep, blues, accoustic, folk..etc.
The students' advertising assignments.
One of them did Toblerone and after marking his work, I had the strongest urge to nibble a Tobble. Quickly rushed downstairs and got 2.
The trick: Suck off the choc and then bite the softened nougat!
Surrounded by all these these past few days.
So yeah, Friday I decided to break away work a little and went for a walk after work. Walked intensely from City Hall and then I called it a night at Thomson Road/Novena.
I was plugged to the mp3 player all the way. While waiting for the bus near United Square, a commotion happened. A bus stopped and there was like a fight on board, involving some ah peks. Usually, I would be dying to know. But no...not that night. I didnt even bat an eyelid nor took out my headphones to listen. There and then, at the bus stop, I realised I would never make it as an investigative journalist.
Oh well.
So much for majoring in journalism.
Reached home and found feet blistered and bleeding.
Orbi good.
###
No comments:
Post a Comment