Sunday, January 27, 2008

She works hard for the money

My head is pounding.
This is like a hangover sans the alcohol.
Thanks to a certain St James last night.


After a quick bite with Idaho downtown, I rushed to Vivo to meet Din and Fifi. Dragged them to catch a show with me. And hahaha, they never seemed to enjoy the stuff I wanted to watch. This is another evidence.








The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a long, tedious and complicated son-of-a-bitch kind of film. The long Southern drawl didnt help either. Strangely still TAoJJ intrigued me. I didnt fall asleep and I yawned only 3 times. And no...it's not because Bradley Pitt is in it. Or Casey Affleck.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jesse James: Go back to bed.
Robert Ford: I got to use the privy.
Jesse James: You think you do, but you don't.

...

Charley Ford: You think it's all made up don't ya? You think it's all yarns and newspaper stories.
Robert Ford: He's just a human being.

...

Jesse James: Do you want to be like me? Or do you want to BE me?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



TAoJJ moves like a crippled man across the Saharan deserts - slow and stressful. If stressful tension is what director Andrew Dominick wants us to feel, then this film is a remarkable, no, stupendous masterpiece. The acting chops of Brad Pitt and men are first class and the cinematography and sound (by Nick Cave!) are breathtaking.

Trust me, the scenery is breathtaking. And because the pacing is slow and the length is so long (2hr 40mins, go figure), you can scan every pixel of the sky, the fields, the forest - every pixel, back and forth, diagonal and inverted.

For a Western film, TAoJJ doesnt have much action. Even if there is one (the train robbery), it is done artistically and with much surrealism. The part where Jesse James was shot was so artistically poignant, I cannot imagine Brad Pitt doing it. I mean come on, this is the regular jock who did Thelma and Louise, Seven (Love it!!), Fight Club, Legends of the Fall, etc. He was never artistic. Ah, and I love him more.


Oh, what? Fifi and Din?
Those 2 companions?
Asleep.


Sorry guys for dragging you to this.
This is like Half Nelson all over again for you two.
Hehehehe.

We met Yiling and Yushan after that and headed to Marche. Didnt take any pictures cause most of us were famished. Oh, they gave me a birthday present!


A non-sporty watch!
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.


After that, around 2300hrs, after much deliberation, we headed to St James Powerhouse's The Boiler Room. I had fun there. We then went out and checked out Dragonfly and the PowerHouse before leaving at 0300hrs. By 0430hrs, I was concussed and woke up 7hours later with a massive headache.

The image of the petite suspected-gay performer at The Boiler Room gave me nightmare.
It must be the big afro hair.

Am here at the library trying to do my freelance projects. I have 2 separate projects and I have no idea how and when I can finish them. I am so screwed. But I so need the money.

Am so broke it is not even funny.

Okay, work.


###

4 comments:

GiGi - The Shy Giraffe said...

Gaspeth!!! I miss your birthday??!! Hope its not too late to wish ya. Uhh.. ok.. here it is..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MAYBE YOU GET ALL THAT YOU WISH FOR. MAY 2008 BE THE BEST OF BEST YEAR!!

ok thats kinda tacky but...its the thought that counts!!

*hugz* happy birthday gurly!!!

ohh btw.. YOU BEEN TAG..

Ed RockStar said...

yes gaspeth! you missed my birthday! but yes yes, it's never too late so..THANK YOU!!!!

when oh when can we do dinner??

Anonymous said...

Kaoz mona.... now everybody knows I slept during movie.... hahahaha..... well this shows to everyone that this movoe sucks to the core.... wellll not to the core lah actually..... hahaha... good to hear u like the watch.....

Ed RockStar said...

but u did sleep, what!!