Saturday, January 26, 2008

Up where we belong

If the passing of one moves you to tears
The cemeteries will be flooded eventually.
But yes,
sad poetic words of the passing shall not go unnoticed.


...yawn...
I shouldnt be at work.
I should be in my NPCC uniform having fun and shaping our future leaders.
Been in the office for 2 hours already and I havent really done jack shit.
Productive, indeed.


Being the very free person that I was, I decided to catch a show last night and managed to rope in Lauren as well. So after work, we made our way down to Plaza Singapura and rested our asses on the uncomfortable seats of GV.









ATONEMENT boasts beauty - cinematography, costumes, sounds - but I wasnt gripped into it and when the film ended, I was perplexed. I felt slighly ... empty. I felt like, plot-wise, there was much hoo-ha over nothing. The acting wasnt that great and the story didnt make me jump for joy, or bawl in manic sadness, or depress in melancholic bleakness. Nothing.

Maybe I had too high an expectation.

Or maybe the busy chatter of a young couple sitting behind me and the loud talking-on-the-phone stupid woman sitting in front of me spoilt the whole show.

...
...

Okay, maybe it was these idiots who made the whole experience sucky.
ATONEMENT couldnt have been that bad.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cecilia Tallis: I love you. I'll wait for you. Come back. Come back to me.

...

Robbie Turner: The story can resume. I will return. Find you, love you, marry you and live without shame.

...

Robbie Turner: [about the letter he sent her] It was a mistake.
Cecilia Tallis: Briony read it.
Robbie Turner: I'm so sorry, it was the wrong version.
Cecilia Tallis: Yes.
Robbie Turner: It was never meant to be read.
Cecilia Tallis: No. What was in the version I was meant to read?
Robbie Turner: Don't know... it was more formal, and less...
Cecilia Tallis: Anatomical?
Robbie Turner: Yes.

...

Older Briony: So, my sister and Robbie were never able to have the time together they both so longed for... and deserved. Which ever since I've... ever since I've always felt I prevented. But what sense of hope or satisfaction could a reader derive from an ending like that? So in the book, I wanted to give Robbie and Cecilia what they lost out on in life. I'd like to think this isn't weakness or... evasion... but a final act of kindness. I gave them their happiness.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



I woke up this morning at 0700hrs, on the floor ... after again falling asleep while reading the papers the night before at 0200hrs. While waiting for the pins and needles in my right hand to subside before I could actually lift meself off the floor, I stared at the ceiling, thinking about the movie, re-enacting every scene one by one. Then it hit me, ATONEMENT is a briiliant story.

God. This is like Brokeback Mountain and Cold Mountain (yeah, I like mountains) all over again. I didnt get it the first time round...only to love it later.

Well, what can I say? ATONEMENT is a great story, especially after reading in-depth analysis of the original novel. The lines are well-crafted and it is a very complicated story. Shit, I need to get the book. I have a feeling the documented words will move me more than the celluloid drama.

Shall go get the book.

..
..
..

Gah!
I've become one of those who read books after watching the stories on film.


Oh by the way, ATONEMENT featured the beach and the Seven Sisters of Sussex, England. I was so excited when I saw them and turned around to Lauren, proclaiming quietly, "I was there on top of those cliffs alone. So beautiful."




Man, I didnt know there were houses beyond the cliffs.
If I had known, I would have begged for shelter and a warm cup of tea.
I couldnt feel my limbs due to the cold.


Anyway yeah...I was there one lonely chilly afternoon in Seaford, East Sussex. Like I told those who were willing to listen, I stood on the pebbly beach, shivering in my t-shirt, gypsy skirt and lame cardigan, contemplating if I should climb the cliff or make a u-turn back to the bus stop. The clouds above the English Channel didnt look too friendly and the sea gulls were flying too near for comfort. It was about 1500hrs and I was the only one there. It turned out I climbed the cliff after all, cursing and swearing when I was nowhere up nor down.

But yes, the view at the top was majestic. Even though it was just a bed of sea ... it was majestic. The cold...dont get me started. Basically I survived thanks to Damien Rice's The Blower's Daughter and REM's Everybody Hurts which were ringing in my head constantly.

I took a lot of pictures...with lots of difficulty of course; trying hard not to be blown away, trying to hold my pee, trying to stop shiverring so that I could aim (my lenses, not pee). Unfortunately, like every tragedy written in history, something was bound to go wrong. I lost that particular roll of film. Gone...just like my money at the end of that month. So yes...I have no pictures of myself standing in front of the English Channel.


Okay.
Nostalgia aside.
Back to work.
Later meeting the guys for a bit of ..*swoon* Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James.


P/S: I bought The Magnificent Seven DVD on Thursday and saw it yesterday. I'd never enjoyed a cowboy/western fare (apart from Labu Labi western bar scene) but now, I'm such a fan. I want to buy The Good, The Bad & The Ugly now.


###

No comments: