Saturday, April 08, 2006

West Timor 12

Expediting Kupang

Day 12: 22nd March 2006
It's another schooling day *argh* and Weixiang pushed me out of Pak Guido's car because I really didnt want to go to school. I felt unwell and I was losing my voice big time. But anyway, today I had 2 classes...Accounting and IT classes. The students were very well-behaved and I was quite disappointed. I am so used to hanging out with the naughty and boisterous kids back in Singapore, no thanks to NPCC.

Oh I made the students cry again. I have a knack for telling some damn sad stories. I cant help it. I'm born with it.

Pak Guido picked us up after school and since Weixiang finished really late today, Pak took us gallivanting around the city. And finally, I bought some souvenirs for home.




In the afternoon, we made our way to the orphanage and again, we had many (more than 30 definitely) village kids coming over. This time round, we were conducting an English workshop. As I had lost my voice, I was spared much talking.

The English Committee - Marinah, Redzwan, JQ - did a great job in planning. We had worksheets for the kids and songs and games ready.Pak Budi and Ibu Peggy also provided some door gifts and refreshments. There were a few local guys who came around to help. They looked like they were having great fun themselves. And the excitement and energy from us were amazing. We rocked, man!




We had a bit of time left so i taught the kids my "specialty" songs - Pong Chika Pong and Chi Ke Cha. Classic.


See their happy faces? I am not sure if they will remember the English words and songs we taught them...but the moments we had with them were priceless.

We had a little debrief session when all the kids went back. It soon turned out to be another bonding session. We monkeyed around … before Adrian was ferried to the hospital for his injured toe and swollen feet – he had some terrible insect bites-gone-wrong on both his feet. Tsk tsk tsk. Problematic.




P/S: Oh yesterday (Day 11th), after our Goal-setting Workshop, Anis led a short thanksgiving/praying session at the orphanage. The kids from the orphanage were there too. Anis led a very heartfelt prayer, thanking God for our presence in Kupang. He also prayed that God would bless all our work and we would be rewarded in some ways. It was very moving. I cried. The kids also prayed for us. I cried even more. Who cares if the kids were Catholics, Anis was a Protestant and I'm a Muslim. It's praying. To the same God.



Marcos, Ako, Edu, Chris, Michael, Pretty, Cynthia, Lala and many sweet others.

###

No comments: