Monday, December 18, 2006

Shift your paradigm

Sun-burnt. Pathetic.

Anyway, nicked this off Wee’s blog.

150 Things You Have Done or Not Done
01. Bought everyone in the bar a drink
02. Swam with wild dolphins
03.
Climbed a mountain
04. Taken a Ferrari for a test drive
05. Been inside the Great Pyramid
06. Held a tarantula
07. Taken a candlelit bath with someone
08. Said “I love you” and meant it
09.
Hugged a tree
10. Bungee jumped
11. Visited Paris
12.
Watched a lightning storm at sea
13. Stayed up all night long and saw the sun rise
14. Seen the Northern Lights
15. Gone to a huge sports game
16. Walked the stairs to the top of the leaning Tower of Pisa
17.
Grown and eaten your own vegetables
18. Touched an iceberg
19.
Slept under the stars
20. Changed a baby’s diaper
21. Taken a trip in a hot air balloon
22. Watched a meteor shower
23. Gotten drunk on champagne
24. Given more than you can afford to charity
25. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope
26. Had uncontrollable giggling fit at worst possible moment
27. Had a food fight
28. Bet on a winning horse
29. Asked out a stranger
30. Had a snowball fight
31. Screamed as loudly as you possibly can
32. Held a lamb
33. Seen a total eclipse
34.
Ridden a roller coaster
35.
Hit a home run
36. Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking
37. Adopted an accent for an entire day…
38. Actually felt happy about your life, even for just a moment
39. Had two hard drives for your computer
40. Visited all 50 states
41. Taken care of someone who was drunk
42.
Had amazing friends
43.
Danced with a stranger in a foreign country…
44. Watched wild whales
45. Stolen a sign
46. Backpacked in Europe (I did go England carrying a backpack…I take it as a “yes”)
47. Taken a road-trip
48.
Gone rock climbing
49.
Midnight walk on the beach
50. Gone sky diving
51. Visited Ireland
52. Been heartbroken longer than you were actually in love
53. In a restaurant, sat at a stranger’s table and had a meal with them…
54. Visited Japan
55. Milked a cow
56.
Alphabetized your CDs
57. Pretended to be a superhero
58. Sung karaoke
59. Lounged around in bed all day
60.
Played touch football
61. Gone scuba diving
62. Kissed in the rain
63. Played in the mud
64. Played in the rain
65. Gone to a drive-in theatre
66. Visited the Great Wall of China
67. Started a business
68. Fallen in love and not had your heart broken
69.
Toured ancient sites (Asian places, can?)
70. Taken a martial arts class
71. Played D&D for more than 6 hours straight
72. Gotten married
73. Been in a movie (school production…The Doll, remember?)
74. Crashed a party
75. Gotten divorced
76. Gone without food for 5 days
77. Made cookies from scratch
78. Won first prize in a costume contest
79. Ridden a gondola in Venice…
80. Gotten a tattoo…
81. Rafted the Rio Grande River
82. Been on television news programs as an “expert”
83. Got flowers for no reason
84. Performed on stage
85. Been to Las Vegas
86. Recorded music
87. Eaten shark
88. Kissed on the first date
89. Gone to Thailand
90. Bought a house
91. Been in a combat zone
92. Buried one/both of your parents
93. Been on a cruise ship
94. Spoken more than one language fluently
95. Performed in Rocky Horror
96. Raised children
97. Followed your favorite band/singer on tour
99. Taken an exotic bicycle tour in a foreign country
100. Picked up and moved to another city to just start over
101. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge
102. Sang loudly in the car, didn’t stop when someone was looking
103. Had plastic surgery
104. Survived an accident that you shouldn’t have survived
105. Wrote articles for a large publication
106. Lost over 100 pounds
107. Held someone while they were having a flashback
108. Piloted an airplane
109. Touched a stingray
110. Broken someone’s heart
111. Helped an animal give birth
112. Won money on a radio show
113. Broken a bone
114. Gone on an African photo safari
115. Had a facial part pierced other than your ears
116. Fired a rifle, shotgun, or pistol
117. Eaten mushrooms that were gathered in the wild
118. Ridden a horse
119. Had major surgery
120. Had a snake as a pet
121. Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
122. Slept for more than 30 hours over the course of 48 hours
123. Visited more foreign countries than U.S. states
124. Visited all 7 continents
125. Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days
126.
Eaten kangaroo meat
127.
Eaten sushi
128. Had your picture in the newspaper
129. Changed someone’s mind abt something you care deeply abt
130. Gone back to school
131. Parasailed
132. Touched a cockroach
133. Eaten fried green tomatoes
134. Read The Iliad - and the Odyssey
135. Selected one “important” author who you missed in school, and read
136. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
137. Skipped all your school reunions
138. Communicated with someone without sharing a common spoken language
139. Been elected to public office
140. Written your own computer language
141. Thought to yourself that you’re living your dream
142. Had to put someone you love into hospice care
143. Built your own PC from parts
144. Sold your own artwork to someone who didn’t know you
145. Had a booth at a street fair
146. Dyed your hair
147.
Been a DJ
148. Shaved your head
149. Caused a car accident
150. Saved someone’s life


Esther and I reached Changi Jetty on time. And by 0900hrs all of us headed to Pulau Ubin. We didn’t walk in because, our coordinator said, “The walk wont serve a great purpose. Our main mission lies at the campsite, which we must reach a.s.a.p.”

Of course, the fact that most of us didn’t want to walk and sweat our asses off was more of the deciding key. Sheesh.

After a round of cheem/profound interacting session, we all were sent off to have the Adventure Training Facility (ATF) session…doing high rope element or obstacles. Wahlao damn high sia! Duh, high rope element, Ed.


[The Devils lost to the Hammers, no thanks to Reo-Cocker’s goal. And this marked the 2nd time they lost. Blighting suey. Now the gap between 1st and 2nd has been down to 2.]





I don’t know who these people are but yeah..we had to wear helmets and harness and stuff.


Back to the obstacles… yeah, as we get older, many thoughts come rushing to our mind. From what we collated, when we were up there doing circus acts, we thought about our lives, our families, our careers. It was like we could see flashes of our lives whizzing by.

Supporters: You can do it! Come on! A few more steps! Don’t think about the height!
Person: Shut up, shut up! You think it’s very easy is it????????


Hahaha. It was hilarious to see the reactions. The first time I stepped out of the platform, to do the tight rope balancing, I was damn nervous I practically shook vigorously. Then I wondered, why was the rope so unsteady? I realised after a while it was just me. I was holding on to the support beam tightly…so tight till I pulled an arm muscle. Damn loser lor, strained my arm just by balancing myself on a high rope. Now I cant even wear clothes or move my left arm properly. Once we completed that, we moved on to the next one, walking on a horizontal ladder and then jumping over a gap to another ladder. The ladder was shaky and the fact that we are metres above the ground didn’t help. Then we had flying-fox.

There was also the common monkey bridge and something that resembled warden’s walk. Anyway, I helped to handle the safety ladders also…I guess I did aggravate the arm strain there. And oh, earning meself a sunburn.

It then rained for a while and we adjourned to the classroom before having our lunch. Camp familiarity followed after that and we were brought around the 2 campsites. This was of course for the benefit of those who hadn’t been there before. Then it began to rain and we had to seek shelter and listen to Commandant’s talk as well. When she ended, the rain stopped and man, it got to be the hottest time. The sun was scorching. Then 30 minutes later…it rained again. Crap.

Late afternoon saw us back in the classroom for more lectures and workshop activities. Divided into groups, we were then told to prepare a presentation on the 6As – Awareness, Acquire, Actuate, Aspire, Achieve and Aim and also the Social-Emotional Learning elements like Self Awareness, Self Management, Responsible Decision Making, etc.

As there were only 6 girls, we were all separated. I was with Tat Hong, Derrick, Chee Huah, Benny and Danny. Oh Chee Huah was born 1 day after me…


Danny…a father in his 30s.
Thanks to me, he has been famously known by his new moniker, Ah Ming-ge.
Why? Because he reminds me of San Yeow in the Chinese drama Holland Village.

Dinner was then followed by campfire…and then supper. By 2245hrs, I was already done with shower and done preparing my bed.


The bunk.

Lounging in bed, I began to prepare my speech for the presentation. The rest of the girls were all busy discussing with their group members outside. My group finished way before dinner. Efficiency, my friend.



When I was about to sleep, Esther came over and decided to have a chat. Boy, could she talk!



Anyway I had an early night because I was damn sleepy. So by 2345hrs, I was gone.

So yeah one day down. This morning after breakfast, we had the presentation, followed by a reflection session which was very nice and thoughtful. Anyway, it began to pour at about 1030hrs. We were supposed to break camp at 1100 but there was no way of doing so. Besides we were already running late from the reflection session. By 1215, we headed to jetty in vans (paid by ourselves of course) and by 1300hrs, we were back on main land.

Of course, soon it began to pour non-stop. Slept all the way on the bus, freezing my tits off.

So…. What have I learnt? A lot.
- some things are meant to be buried or left behind
- we need to be opened to changes
- must be willing to experience a “paradigm shift”
- the older you get, the more consequences you can imagine

…among other things of course.

In retrospect, I am glad I actually got my butt down to this camp even if it’s just a 2day-1night affair. Kudos to the facilitators for coming up with a great programme, catering to our needs, for not treating us like kids and for giving us the respect of fellow peers. Appreciate that a lot. *Heartfelt*

Esther called me up just now, just as I was about to have dinner at 2100hrs, and we chatted for 1.5 hours. Poor woman was feeling a bit bluesy – it's post-Ubin blues. And the fact that it will be back-to-work-Monday tomorrow certainly doesn’t help.

Awrite.
Need to prepare some stuff.
Going to Jurong Police Station tomorrow for an “excursion”.

A thousand times goodnight, life-long learners.


P/S: Glad I managed to overcome the physical and emotional barriers during the ATF session. I could have got by without even trying a single one. Thank God I did what I had done.

P/P/S: My arm is hurting badly. To top the pathetic loser factor (hahaha), i stubbed my thumb this morning in the bunk. At 0600hrs, my alarm went off to the irritating Star Wars' Death March tune. Took a while to jab a button because my fingers were all numbed. Kept on jabbing my thumb, somehow still couldnt do it.


###

No comments: